Thorpe Camp Visitor Centre, Woodhall Spa
The Centre was formerly part of No.1 Communal Site, RAF Woodhall Spa, and was built in 1940, with a planned life span of only 10 years! The site included the Officers and Sergeants Mess, Airmen’s Dining Halls and the NAAFI building, together with Ration Store, Latrines and Ablution Block. Only the Airmen’s Dining Halls, the NAAFI, Ablution Block and Ration Store are within the Centre’s boundary.
The Thorpe Camp Preservation Group established the Visitor Centre in 1988 to commemorate those Airmen who flew from the airfield in World War II. 97, 619, 617 (Dambusters) and 627 Squadrons were based at RAF Woodhall Spa.
Tattershall Railway Station
Location – South side of Sleaford Road (A153)
Closed on 17.06.1963
Both platforms are extant as are the buildings on the up platform which have been restored and are now a private residence with the Tattershall Station Gallery located in the former booking office selling paintings and pottery with public access along part of the platform. There is a station sign at the north end of the up platform but this may be a reproduction.
The large brick goods shed is also extant behind the station house and is in separate ownership.
There is a crossing keepers cottage at the site of the level crossing in Sleaford Road, to the north of the station.
The stations was closed to both passengers and goods on 17thJune 1963. During the 1970s and 1980s the Tattershall Air Museum was located in the goods yard.